This is our twist on a deep south classic. We paired this recipe for Summer Fried Green Tomatoes up with the country music duo The Springs. Stewart and Holly enjoys fried goodness like most people from the south. We figured it was a good idea to pair our favorite duo with our most requested recipe. We use Italian style panko bread crumbs, rather than the traditional batter. It gives the tomatoes a nice crunch without the excess batter. When you pair the tomatoes with the aioli it really feels like a summer party. Check out our interview with The Springs by clicking here.
Fried Green Tomatoes with Lemon Basil Aioli
Lemon Basil Aioli
- 1 cup heavy mayo
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chiffonade
- 2 lg green tomatoes sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 1/2 cup flour seasoned lightly with salt and pepper
- 4 eggs scrambled, but not cooked
- canola oil
Lemon Basil Aioli
- In a bowl combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
- Fill a tall sided pan with canola oil to about 2 inches and bring to 375 degrees under medium high heat.
- You need 3 separate bowls with enough room to maneuver your hands and tomato slices.
- The first bowl add the flour, the second the egg mixture, and finally the third everything else under the tomato ingredients.
- You will bread each tomato slice starting with the flour, then egg and finally the bread crumbs. Make sure that the tomato is covered completely during each step.
- Add the breaded tomato slices to the hot oil in small batches. Cooking until browned on each side.
- Place a wire rack over a sheet pan. Place the cooked tomatoes on the rack until the excess oil has dropped.
- Serve with the Aioli.