Are you busy? I think most of us are these days. Especially country music artist Sarah Jane Nelson. Not only is she a rising star, but she is also a realtor and a mom. So we had to cook up a recipe to fit her lifestyle. We created a tasty One Pot Chicken and Saffron Rice recipe. This dish is great for a busy family or can be dressed up for a night out with friends. Give this One Pot Chicken and Saffron Rice recipe a try!
While it’s cooking, check out the full interview with Sarah Jane Nelson by clicking here.
One Pot Chicken and Saffron Rice
- 1 Chef Knife
- 1 deep skillet
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes diced
- 1 cup peas
- 4 strips bacon diced
- 1 Whole chicken breast split in half
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 gram saffron
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Seasoning for Chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and preheat a large skillet with at least 2" depth over high heat.
- Cut the chicken up the traditional 8 ways. Next, split the breasts in half. (If you are not comfortable doing this, the butcher will be willing to help). Finally, discard the wings or store them in the freezer for chicken stock. That's what I do. Season the chicken with the spice rub.
- Brown the bacon and reserve the cooked portion, leaving the grease in the skillet. Cook the chicken in batches starting with the skin side down, over high heat until deep golden brown, cooking about 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and place it on a platter.
- Add in chopped onion and cook until just turning translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and sundried tomatoes; cook until fragrant.
- Stir in 2 cups of white rice, then 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 gram saffron, 1 cup of peas, bay leaf, bacon, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/1 tsp pepper. Return skillet to heat until the liquid just starts to boil.
- Add in chicken skin side up. Place the skillet in the oven and cook uncovered until all the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before serving