I can say here in my home state of Florida it gets hot. In the heat of the sun I rarely think eating something dense and rich. This is why Strawberry Shortcake becomes one of my go to desserts for spring and summer. The coolness of the cream, the sweetness from fresh berries, lightens the delicious shortbread. This is one of the best strawberry shortcaes for outdoor parties and intimate gatherings. It is also versatile you can always replace the strawberries with other fruits that are local to you. This recipe will be a success wherever you serve it. Try this strawberry shortcake today.
Summer Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 1/4 cup Chambord Liqueur
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream extra cold
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp almond extrait
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup turbinado cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place an empty glass or metal mixing bowl in freezer for the whipped cream.
- Combine the sliced strawberries, sugar, and liqueur in a bowl and toss together and refrigerate for an hour, but no more than 24 hours.
- Remove your mixing bowl from the freezer and add all ingredients.
- Using a whisk attachment, whisk the mixture on high until firm peaks form
- Cover and refrigerate.
- In a food processor combine the first 5 ingredients and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse until the flour mixture looks meally.
- Combine the buttermilk and the almond extrait.
- Add to the flour mixture and pulse until combined and dough is formed.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Using 2 spoons or a medium scoop place scoops that look a little larger than a golf ball on your pan. Leave about 2 inches of space in between scoops.
- Use a pastry brush and coat each shortbread with the heavy cream.
Next sprinkle each shortbread with the large sugar crystals.
- Place the shortbreads in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Split the shortbread in half and place the bottom half onto your plate.
- Add a spoonful of the whipped cream to the bottom half.
- Add a spoonful of the sliced strawberries to the top of the whipped cream.
- Restore the top of the shortbread.