This amazing Sunny Summer Slaw recipe was inspired by country music artist Mandy McMillan. She maintains a vegan diet and we accepted the challenge. We combined some big flavors, with a light dressing. The is sweet, spicy, crunchy, but most importantly light for a summer day outdoors. While you are throwing the simple Sunny Summer Slaw recipe together, Check out our full interview with Mandy McMillan by clicking here.
Sunny Summer Slaw
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
For the Slaw
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded with a knife
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded with a knife
- 1½ cup kale shredded with a knife
- 1 pineapple skinned, cored and quartered
- 1 large red bell pepper julienned
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup red onion julienned
- 1 jalapeno julienned
For the Dressing
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp local honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- extra salt and pepper
- Preheat a grill or grill pan.
- Season the pineapple lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill for around a minute on each side. Make sure there is a good char on each side.
- Chop into medium size chunks and let cool.
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, kale, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro.
- Add the zest, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper whisk until well combined.
- Add the dressing to the slaw and toss. Let sit for a few minutes and repeat.