This was a recipe we created for Melanie Meriney for our Feed the Band series. We had fun with this one and it is a fresh spin on a classic. We used her Pittsburgh upbringing and combined it with her roots she is growing in Nashville. If you want to check out our interview with Melanie Meriney you click here. As always check out our new series Feed the Band.
Southern Style Lasagna
- alfredo sauce recipe in notes
- 2 16 oz lasagna noodles
- 2 sweet potatoes thin sliced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- 1 20 pkg Italian Sausage casing removed
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare or use store bought alfredo sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Follow instructions on pasta packaging for al dente pasta.
- In a medium pan brown the sausage.
- In a large pan on medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the diced onion and cook until it starts to carmelize. About 2 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced sweet potatoes and garlic. Cook until the slices is able to be bent in half, but do not break. remove from heat.
- Pray a 13x9 casserole dish with pan spray.
- Add a very thin layer of alfredo sauce that should cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add 4 strips of pasta to the pan. They should slightly overlap.
- As you start the layers, be mindful that your ingredient will be used over 3 layers.
- Reserve a handful of spinach, 1/4 cup alfredo and 1 1/2 tablespoons of roasted red pepper.
- You will layer a small amount of alfredo, just enough to cover the pasta. Then a thin layer of potatoes, spinach, sausage and red pepper. Then top with 4 pasta sheets.
- Add 2 more layers.
- Cover the top layer of pasta with the reserved alfredo.
- Add the remainder of the spinach and roasted pepper.
- cover with both shredded cheeses.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes until desired browning has been reached on the top. Let cool for 15 minutes and serve.