When country music artist Craig Campbell shared with us for mustard greens we got excited. The truth is there is many ways to cook this southern classic. We wanted to put a guys spin on it so we came up with Beer Braised Greens. We used an ale and let me tell you that beer adds a depth of flavor that can’t be matched. This recipe for Beer Braised Greens is going to make a believer out of you. Try this recipe and check out our full interview with Craig Campbell by clicking here.
Beer Braised Greens
- 3 lbs greens washed and stemmed
- 1 lb smoked ham diced
- 2 12 oz bottles ale bottles or cans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp bacon grease You can also use olive oil.
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- Clean and remove stems from greens.
- Heat bacon grease over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves and a little salt/pepper. Saute until onions are soft.
- Add the beer and brown sugar and then scrape the bottom with your spoon to remove all the bits.
- Add the chicken stock, ham hock greens and diced ham. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 1-2 hours for desired tenderness. Mustard greens will take less time than collards. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Enjoy!