This is alway a welcoming dish in our house. We make shrimp and grits it many forms that we could eat it every day and never get tired of it. We did this version for a good friend of ours Kevin Ray Broast for our series at Southern Fellow, Feed the Band. His music is a mixture of blues, country and southern rock. So we used ingredients from all over the south that represents his diverse southern genres. This will be a welcomed dish in your home. Check out our interview with Kevin Ray Brost by clicking here.
Southern Tour Shrimp and Grits
Stone Ground Grits Cheese Grits
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock unsalted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sharp chedder grated
- 1/2 tsp fresh tyhme stems removed
- 20 jumbo gulf shrimp deveined
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 large bell peppers thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lbs andouille sausage 1/2 inch slices
- 2 slices bacon cut 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 2 green onion sliced
- shredded sharp chedder garnish
- paprika garnish
- In a medium saucepan under medium-high heat bring the cream, chicken stock, salt, butter and pepper to a light boil.
- Add the grits, stir with whisk and reduce to low. Let simmer for for 18 minutes with lid on and stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a cast iron skillet under medium heat brown the bacon. Once brown reserve the bacon pieces and leave the grease in the skillet.
- Add the sausage, brown and reserve the sausage slices.
- Toss the cleaned shrimp in 1 tsp creole seasoning.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, and 1/2 tsp of creole seasoning. Cook until the the onions start to clear and all the brown goodness starts to stick to the onions and peppers. Takes about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and then the bourbon. Cook until the center is no longer clear, but white. This will take about a 30 seconds to a minute.
- add the sausage back to the shrimp.
- Plate using the grits as your base and adding the shrimp mixture on top. Garnish with the bacon, green onion, cheddar and dust lightly with paprika.