Anyone who knows country artist Mary Kutter knows these two things. First, she is an amazing songwriter, and secondly, she is the taco queen. I’m pretty sure she eats them daily. So we put our culinary thinking caps on and came up with this recipe for the Ultimate Breakfast Tacos. I personally think we hit the nail on the head. Homemade chorizo, potatoes and a fried egg on top are the things dreams are made of. We didn’t stop there. We added some fresh salsa verde and a slice of avocado to make those taste buds really thump. Give this recipe for the Ultimate Breakfast Tacos a try! While you are getting your taco on, check out our full interview with Mary Kutter by clicking here.
Ultimate Breakfast Tacos
- mixing bowl
- food processor
- large griddle or pan
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 oz ground pork fat ask the meat department
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles charred, then remove skin and turned to paste in food processor
- 1½ tbsp paprika
- 1½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 tomatillos skin remove and roasted
- 1 jalapeno roasted and stem removed
- 2 poblano pepper roasted and stems removed
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ pepper
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups red potatoes diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp oil we use bacon grease
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado Skin and pit removed then sliced up in 8 segments.
Extras Ingredients for Roasting
- olive oil
Prepare Charred Ingredients
- Coat with oil and generously season all the ingredients label to be charred with salt and butter.
- Place on a preheated medium/high grill or in an oven on broil.
- Cook onions and tomatillos for the salsa verde until nicely golden brown edges start to form. Remove from heat.
- Cook the peppers until the outside is black and the skin starts to separate from the flesh. Remove the skin and seeds reserving the peppers.
- Using a food processor turn the roasted poblanos into a paste.
- Add them and the remainder of the ingredients in a bowl and using clean hands combine. Place in the fridge and let the flavors do their magic overnight.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor. Pulse off and on until it reaches a nice salsa consistency. Place in a container and chill in the fridge overnight.
Let's Make Tacos!
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees. Brown the chorizo like you would hamburger. Make sure the internal temp reached 165 degrees. This should take 4-6 minutes. Once cooked reserve.
- Toss the potatoes, red bell peppers, and onions in oil then season. Place on the griddle and cook until the edges of the potatoes are brown and the inside is soft. This takes around 7-10 minutes. When finished reserve.
- Add some oil to the griddle and cook the eggs any way you like them. We like them sunny side up. Reserve the cooked eggs and clean the griddle.
- Lightly brown each tortilla.
- Fill each with about a 1/4 cup of chorizo. Then place an egg in each one. Top the tortillas off with the sliced avocado, salsa verde, diced tomatoes, and extra cilantro. Feel free to add any of your favorite taco toppings.