Our family is a rarity in today standards. We have a huge extended family of around 65 people give or take. This was no easy feat. My father was the oldest of 8 siblings. My grandparents had their hands full with a house filled with children. Fast forward to today and now once every month my grandparents home is filled with 65 people who covers 4 generations of family members. This pound cake has been a part of each generation. Even more importantly is the times it has spent celebrating a birth, in memoriam of a loved one who has passed, and every one of life’s milestone in between. Grandma’s sour cream pound cake has been there through it all. We now invite you to bring this recipe into your family. When you do, you will be bring the love that my family has shared with my grandma’s pound cake.
Thank you for supporting our recipes. If you love music like I do, check out our new series Feed the Band by clicking here.
Grandma's Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 6 large eggs separate yolks from whites
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 8 oz sour cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a mixer bowl cream the egg yolks, butter and sugar using a mixer with a paddle attachment.
- In a medium bowl sift all dry ingredients.
- Alternating between the dry ingredients and the sour cream add to the mixer under medium speed until combined.
- Add the lemon juice until fully incorporated.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a whisk attachment on your mixer, whisk the egg white until firm peaks form. You should be able to dip a spoon in and the egg whites peaks should stand without folding over.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in egg whites into creamed mixture. Do it enough to fully incorporate and then stop. Do not over mix.
- Grease and coat with flour a 10" tube pan.
- Add the mixture to the pan.
- bake for 1 1/2 hours. The top should be golden brown and a toothpick should be free a cake batter if inserted and removed.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and remove from pan.