This recipe for Southern Fellow Churros was inspired by Americana music artist Jess Jocoy. We pulled a little inspiration from her heritage, added a little orange zest for our Florida roots, and covered everything with a sweet velvety chocolate sauce to match Jess Jocoy’s voice. The flavors pair so well together we dare you to only eat one. While you are cooking these churros check out our full interview with Jess Jocoy by clicking here.
Southern Fellow Churros
- heavy bottom pot
- pastry bag with a wide tip
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Orange Zest Coating
- In a small, shallow bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon and orange zest.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the water, sugar, salt and vegetable oil. Bring the mixture to a boil then remove it from the heat. Stir in the flour, mixing until it forms a smooth ball.
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot set over medium-high heat until it reaches 375ºF. (There should be a minimum of 3 inches above the oil to prevent it from bubbling over.) Line a plate with paper towels.
- Transfer the dough to a cloth pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag fitted with a large star tip (optional).
- Pipe the dough over the pot of oil to a length of about 4 inches, then using scissors or a sharp knife, cut it so it releases into the oil. (Stand back to avoid any splatters.) Pipe two to three churros into the oil at a time, frying them until they're golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the churros to the paper towel-lined plate to drain for 2 minutes, then while they are still hot, roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat the frying and coating process with the remaining dough.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl.
- Warm the heavy cream in small saucepan. (Do not let it boil.) Pour the heavy cream over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute then stir to combine.