Noelle Toland might be one of the new queens of country, but this salad deserves a crown as well. You can’t go wrong with a spicy jalapeno dressing with grilled sweet shrimp, corn, and okra. Don’t wait for a royal invitation to try this recipe!
Read our interview with Noelle Toland by clicking here!
Spicy Grilled Shrimp, Corn, and Okra Salad
- 2 jalapeños
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 7 tablespoons fresh lime juice from about 5 limes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pound small okra halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ears sweet yellow corn shucked
- 1 pound mixed heirloom grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Southern Fellow BBQ Rub
Make the dressing
- Preheat grill to high (450°. Coat the peppers in olive oil. Grill jalapeños uncovered, turning often until skins are charred, about 8 minutes. Place chiles in a small ziplock plastic bag and seal, or place in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel and discard blistered skins; remove stems and seeds. Process jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and honey in a blender until smooth, about 45 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Make the salad
- Coat the shrimp, corn, and okra in olive oil. Then season with the BBQ Rub. Grill the okra, corn, and shrimp until okra and corn are slightly blistered and just softened, about 5 minutes for the okra and 1o minutes for the corn. Grill the shrimp until they are no longer translucent, about 2 minutes Place okra in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Cut the kernels off the corn cob. In a bowl, toss everything together.
- Serve with dressing on the side.