Deep South Collard Greens
- 6 lbs collards with all large stems removed about 4 bunches
- 4 lbs smoked ham hocks
- 8 cups chicken stock unsalted
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- Remove all large stems and cut collards into 1"x 2" striips.
- Rinse the sand from collards.
- In a large stock pot, under medium heat, add the bacon grease, onions and garlic.
- Cooke until onions start to caramelize and garlic is fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the stock pot.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours until the greens are tender.