This recipe for Chicken Florentine was inspired by country music artist JuJu Rossi. She loves Italian and so do we. We took what we loved about the classic and built on it. Grilled chicken, spinach and a cheesy cream sauce is comfort food at its finest. Give this recipe for Chicken Florentine at try. While you are cooking, check out our full interview with JuJu Rossi by clicking here.
For the Marinade:
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
For the vegetables:
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1 lbs penne pasta
- preheat grill to 450 degrees.
- For the marinade combine all the ingredients except for the olive oil and chicken in a large bowl. Using a whisk slowly add the olive oil until combined. Split the chicken breast in half long ways and add the it to to the marinade. Toss to make sure the chicken has contact with the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add the melt the butter and add the flour. Using a whisk stir on a regular basis for about 2 minutes until the roux smells like roasted almonds.
- Using the whisk at a brisk pace add the wine a little at a time until fully incorporated. Cook for a minute and repeat the process with the heavy cream.
- When the cream comes to a simmer reduce heat to low and add the nutmeg, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Stir until incorporated and remove from heat.
- In a large pot cook your pasta al dente and drain. About 8 minutes.
- Grill the chicken for around 5 minutes on each side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat add the olive oil and then all the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Toss in the cooked pasta to the vegetables and cook for about a minute.
- Add the sauce and toss.
- Slice the chicken and place on top of the pasta.