This recipe for Southern Sunday Quiche is inspired by country music artist Kirstie Kraus. We definitely share her love for this classic dish. Quiche is very French in name and place of origin, but today it has found it’s way to the southern table. It is hearty, adaptable, and just plain good. With egg, cheese, and pie crust, It’s no surprise how it has become so popular as a breakfast entree. We kept it simple, but you can pretty much add any ingredients you want to make this recipe fit your family’s needs. Anything done from the heart is going to be good. Give this recipe for Southern Sunday Quiche a try today!
Speaking of the heart, Kirstie Kraus has a big one and uses to make some really great music. Read our full interview to learn more about her music and life. You can check it out by clicking here.
Southern Sunday Quiche
- 6 slices bacon cut to thin strips
- 6 oz fresh spinach
- 2 tbsps fresh chive diced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups onion diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare homemade pie dough and roll out to a pie plate. Check the notes for our recipe. You can also use ready-made dough from your favorite grocery store as well.
- In a skillet brown the bacon slices. Once brown remove the pieces with a slotted spoon. Spoon the bacon onto a plate covered in paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Add the onion, salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper to the skillet and saute until the onion is light brown and caramelized. Next, add the spinach and cook until half is wilted and remove from heat. The remainder with finish cooking.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs until the yolks are completely combined. Add the 1/2 and 1/2, remaining pepper, chives and nutmeg then whisk together.
- Add the onion and spinach on top of the pie dough. Spread 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and all the bacon on top.
- Pour in the egg mixture over the filling. Using a fork lightly lift the filling into the egg mixture. Top with the remainder of the cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the center is set. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve.