This recipe for Southern Potato Leek Soup is one of our most popular recipes and inspired by country music artist Dustin Chapman. There is something about this soup that warms the soul. I always have to make double for my family and friends when I even mention that I want to make this soup. Make this soup for your family and check out our interview with Dustin Chapman by clicking here.
Irish Potato Leek Soup
- large pot
- immersion Blender
- 1/2 cup real butter
- 32 oz unsalted chicken stock
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 2 large leeks
- 4-6 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt plus extra
- 1 tsp pepper plus extra
- Cut the green part and roots and discard making sure you only keep the white part.
- Cut in half down the full length of the leek.
- pull apart the sections and rinse the sand that is between each section.
- Dice the leek into a fine dice about 1/4 inch.
- Peel and dice the potatoes to a 1/2 inch dice
- In a medium sized stock pot under medium heat at the butter.
- After the butter has melted, add the potatoes and leeks.
- Cook stirring occasionally until the edges of the potatoes start to become translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Cook until potatoes are very tender.
- add the 4 cups of heavy cream.
- Using an immersion blender or hand mixer whip the soup until smooth.
- Add additional cream for desired texture.
- finish with extra salt and pepper to fit your taste.