Carnitas are a hot item and so is country music artist Mary Loyd. When she brought up tacos, Southern Fellow carnitas was the first thing that came to mind. The texture combination of crispy and juicy is amazing. Then to top it all off, the flavor is out of this world. Our carnitas recipe is one of the best around. Mary Loyd also happens to be one of the best new females in country music. Try this recipe for Southern Fellow carnitas and check out her interview on Feed the Band by clicking here.
Southern Fellow Carnitas
- medium cast iron heavy bottom pot with lid
- cast iron frying pan
- 4 lbs boston butt cut into 2" chunks
- 4 tbsp Southern Fellow Rub see notes
- 1½ cups yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- ½ jalapeno diced
- ½ orange juice
- 2 limes juiced
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the medium pot. Place over medium heat.
- Coat the pork with the rub spice mix. Add the pork, onion, garlic and jalapeno to the pot and lightly brown all sides. Add the orange juice and lime juice to the pot. Bring everything to a simmer and place the lid on top of the pot. Reduce heat to low.
- Let cook for 2 hours or more if needed. The pork should be easy to pull apart with a fork. Remove the meat from the pot separate into bite size pieces.
- In a cat iron fry pan add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Bring it to medium high heat. In batches as need add the pork. Do not crowd the pan. Brown on all sides. The meat should be crispy on the ends and juicy inside. Repeat this process as needed.
- Eat by itself or add it to tacos with all your favorite toppings. There are many ways to enjoy Southern Fellow carnitas!