This recipe was done for our interview with country music artist Adam Craig. Being a country boy BBQ is always on his mind. So we made a twist on a pulled pork sandwich we like to call it the “Redneck Panini”. It is like a mullet haircut. It is a little seriousness, followed by a whole lot of party. This is great to have anytime, but it is a fun way to transform leftover BBQ into something new. Try this sandwich. You are going to love it. Also check out our interview with Adam Craig by clicking here.
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 lb smoked pulled pork
- 1/2 family bbq sauce recipe in notes
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/2 cowboy candy recipe in notes
- 4 tbsps butter
- bourbon pickles garnish
- preheat a sandwich press. This can also be done in a pan. If using a pan do not heat until sandwiches are ready.
- Lay out 4 slices of the bread. Add 1/4 pound of pulled pork to each slice.
- Coat the pork with the our family BBQ sauce.
- Add 3 pieces of bacon to each sandwich. After the bacon top with cheese and the the cowboy candy.
- Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Carefully flip each sandwich over and butter the bottom. Then flip the buttered side on the sandwich press. Butter the top portion of the sandwich.
- Close the press and make sure the top part of the press is flat on the sandwich. If using a pan treat the sandwich like a grilled cheese. However, lower the temp a bit. It will take longer to cook.
- In the sandwich press cook for 2-3 minutes. The sandwich should be nicely browned and the cheese should be starting to melt.
- Slice each sandwich in half and garnish with bourbon flavored pickles.