Gulf Coast Hush Puppies
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1 small diced jalapeno
- peanut or other high temperature oil
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients.
- Let rest for 30 minutes under refrigeration.
- while dough is resting bring oil to 350 degrees
- using a small scoop or 2 small spoons add about a tablespoon of dough.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side making sure the outside is golden brown and the dough on the inside is fully cooked.