Flavorful Black Beans
- 1 lbs dried black beans
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 of a lime
- In a colander rinse the black beans and remove any rocks.
- Dice the bacon, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic.
- Bring a medium to large, heavy bottomed pot to medium heat.
- Add the bacon to the pot and cook until brown.
- Add the vegetables and bay leaves
- Saute the vegetables until the onions are almost clear.
- Add the chicken stock
- Add the black beans and spices.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Cook beans for about 2 hours or until tender.
- Finish with the juice of 1/2 a lime.