Pepper Steak is one of those popular Chinese dishes we have come to love in America. This is our classic spin to this Asian favorite. This recipe is a great balance between spice and sweet. We added the ginger scented rice to give it a fresh herbal taste to pair with the richness of the pepper steak. Try this the next time you are craving the exotic far east. You will have this fantastic meal cooked before the take-out shows up at your door. That is fresh, fast.
Far East Pepper Steak
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 6 cups water
- 2 1/4 slices of fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cup bell peppers sliced
- 1 cup onions halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garllc chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lb sirloin steak sliced
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted beef stock
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- In a medium sauce pot bring the 6 cups of water and sliced ginger to boil. Season with salt and stir in rice.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. cook for about 20 minutes until rice is tender and remove from heat
- Coat the steak slices with the curry powder.
- In a wok or large frying pan add the sesame oil and bring to medium high heat.
- add the steak and toss in the oil until the outside is brown.
- Add the peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, pepper, red pepper, and lemon zest.
- Cook for about a minute. The vegetables should still be very firm.
- Add the soy sauce and reduce for a minute.
- Add the beef stock and honey and again let reduce for a minute.
- Combine the water and cornstarch and add to the pepper steak and let thicken.
- Remove pan from heat and add tomatoes.
- Seve with rice and garnish with fresh basil.