This Citrus Infused Creme Brulee we consider one of the most perfect desserts. It also represents country music artist Stephanie Ryann. As a dessert, the contrast in texture and the freshness that the citrus adds will make you crave it. This same contrast also serves to represent Stephanie as well. The combination of her big city life and traditional country sound will surprise you. This Citrus Infused Creme Brulee will add an elegant flair to any party. Try this recipe and while you are cooking, check out our interview with Stephanie Ryann by clicking here.
Citrus Infused Creme Brulee
- brulee ramekins
- raised edge pan
- 1 Microplane
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- extra sugar for topping
- boiling water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Using a peeler, peels 4 strips of flesh from the orange. Use light pressure and only remove the orange part. If there is any white on the back of the peels remove it with a knife. Set aside your 4 strips and peel the orange. Using a knife remove each orange section between the white membrane. Reserve the sections for garnish.
- Add the cream, vanilla, orange peel and Grand Marnier to the a saucepan. Place on the stove over medium heat. Remove the cream right before it starts boil.
- In a bowl add the egg yolks and sugar. Using a whisk or electric mixer beat the the egg mixture until it it pale yellow and starts to form ribbons as you whisk.
- Remove the orange peel from the cream and discard. While whisking use a ladle and add the cream to the egg mixture in a very light stream. Do this about 4 times to temper the eggs. Add the remainder of the cream and combine.
- place 8 brulee ramekins in a raised edge pan. Add the egg mixture evenly among the ramekins. place the pan on your oven rack. Add hot water until it reaches half the edge of ramekins being careful that the water does not splash into the egg mixture. Bake for 2o minutes. There should still be a slight jello effect in the center. Remove from oven and let cool. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Over night is preferable,
- To serve coat the top of the custard with sugar. Carefully using a torch caramelize the sugar to a nice golden brown. Garnish with the orange sections.